x86 WDS wont forward DHCP

jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 20:16    Post subject: x86 WDS wont forward DHCP Reply with quote
Hi there i have 4 linksys WRT54GL's

I have setup a main one as a hotspot using Wireless orbit. AP1 (the hotspot) is connected to a DSL router, this works fine as a hotspot, it gives the hotspot assigned ip address and all works fine

I have 3 others that are connected via WDS in a chain to further the signal. However AP2 connects via WDS and you can browse the internet from it but it has no WAN IP, and its set as a DHCP forwarder but it dosnt forward them to it, it dosnt get the hotspot ip addy 192.168.182.x

Is there anything i am missing? The WAN is set to Auto DHCP but no address there. This is driving me crazy!
Sponsor
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because it's WDS it is not routing anything, it is extending coverage of wireless... I'm 99% sure you have selected "LAN" as WDS type, if not then I still think that is what you want... Also then there is no need for "DHCP forwarder", disable DHCP alltogether from WDS router, as main router is already doing the DHCP and WDS is extending wireless, not doing routing so no DHCP services are needed whatsoever...

If you want WDS router to get its IP from main router, then you will need little script in order to achieve it, I'm just thinking that you propably need it as firewall script as you need the WDS connection be established first and then get the IP... Anyways this is little modification from wiki thread Wireless Access Point:

Code:
udhcpc -i br0 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -H wds_router_name

This is ofcourse needed to run in WDS router, I'm not sure is startup sufficient or should it be firewall, but you can try and see what works best.

If this isn't working (at all), then you can still try this method:

Code:
udhcpc -i wds0.1 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc -H wds_router_name

This assumes your WDS router has main router configured as it's first WDS node, anyways just change the wds0.x value to corresponding one...
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
see this is the strange thing, another site i have setup the same sorta thing

I have a main router then various others connected via WDS, then had DHCP forwarding setup, and in LAN Setup (Setup > basic setup) i have gatway as the main routers LAN IP

What i dont get is my other setup works fine, maybe is there another way around this
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well do you want your WDS nodes actually route? As said in WDS (at LAN-mode) doesn't need DHCP service in any form, actually that would only confuse the network as there would be 2 DHCP services on same LAN...

Now if you do want (another) routing in WDS router then you could just use client mode instead of WDS...
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is my setup

DSL-cat5-AP1 -wireless- AP2 == AP3 == AP4

When a client logs onto AP4 then it needs to be forwarded to AP1 so as it can give it a special 192.168.182.x address which is recognised by the hotspot

I just have DHCP forwarding configured not any other DHCP servers

How do i link the routers in client mode? is it by SSID?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well main question still is that what do you want actually to achieve? is the main router (ap1) already giving you IP from the range that any client needs to have? If so then dismiss any additional DHCP services (==DHCP server and forwarder, forwarder is still an DHCP service)...

If the point is that every AP is on same LAN, that also means by definiton no more than the main DHCP service...

If you do want to make additional routing[s] (tough I don't see why, just complicates things more) then you can start using client modes etc...

jhbs wrote:
When a client logs onto AP4 then it needs to be forwarded to AP1 so as it can give it a special 192.168.182.x address which is recognised by the hotspot

This wonders me most, as said with WDS all APs are same LAN, so by definition you can't have multiple DHCP services available nor needed.
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
so basically if i put all my routers, apart from client mode then it should work, do i need to put DHCP forwarding in client mode? also what do i do with the WAN?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
olmari wrote:
main question still is that what do you want actually to achieve?

this still stands... Do you want all the clients connecting to diffirent accesspoints to be part of same LAN or not?
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes i do, i want clients who connect to any AP to be given a 192.168.182.x address made by the hotspot DHCP server

I want all clients to go through the same gateway so yes they should be on the same lan
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... Set AP1 and AP2 as WDS (LAN type) with eachothers, AP2 and AP3 with eachothers, and likewise for AP3 and AP4...

No DHCP is needed nor wanted in AP2, 3 and 4, all computers connecting to any AP does get IP from AP1 DHCP service this way...

All WDS routers ofcourse needs to have same SSID and generally same wireless settings as main AP in order for WDS to work any good... Also disable internet connection completely from additional routers, because we are connecting them to one big LAN so they doesn't need to route anything...

WDS is direct equivalent of wired network hub, and also WDS is only way to connect more than 1 client (wired and wireless) wirelessly to an existing wireless network using additional routers to extend wireless network without using cables between routers...

And also as I have said, as WDS is one big LAN, you can't have nor need have more than main routers DHCP service enabled, which includes DHCP forward...

Any other than WDS you aren't on same big LAN anymore so those are out of the question... I don't know what else to tell you... in WDS those additional accesspoints ofcourse has no WAN IP as those devices itself aren't creating WAN connection, the main router is doing that... Also if you want your WDS accesspoints to get IP to themselves for their LAN interfaces from DHCP server then you need to use that startup(/firewall) script... There is no harm just using manual IP as by nature they have already; only thing you do with that script is making WDS accesspoint getting new LAN IP from DHCP server...

Afain, in WDS mode those additional accesspoints are all part of same lan, no WAN connection is ever made with those... Are we clear now? Rolling Eyes
jhbs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to explain all of that. This is the same sort of idea i have as well

So i need to do Setup > Basic Setup > WAN > Disable

With DHCP forwarder how do i disable it? just leave it with 0.0.0.0?

Under basic setup in the LAN section do i need to put the gateway?
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
jhbs wrote:
Hi there, thank you for taking the time to explain all of that. This is the same sort of idea i have as well

Well everyone have to start somewhere.

jhbs wrote:
So i need to do Setup > Basic Setup > WAN > Disable

Yep.

jhbs wrote:
With DHCP forwarder how do i disable it? just leave it with 0.0.0.0?

Under Setup --> Basic setup, just select "disable" in "DHCP Server", this will disable whole DHCP service.

jhbs wrote:
Under basic setup in the LAN section do i need to put the gateway?

Not needed for clients, but for 'completeness' it is useful to have, that way you can use ntp in that particular router/AP for example... Lets say it this way: no harm using it, but can be useful, so just fill it in Smile Also same goes for "local DNS" setting. And both of these is the main router usually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: