WRT54GL upgrade from v24 (05/16/08) voip to pre SP2 13064VPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
glacious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 0:08    Post subject: WRT54GL upgrade from v24 (05/16/08) voip to pre SP2 13064VPN Reply with quote
I am currently running v24 (from 5/16/2008) on a wrt54GL v1.1

I want to get the VPN feature set (not using voip on it anymore) and get an upgrade in while I'm at it.

Can I directly upgrade from the GUI to pre SP2 13064 VPN (from a v24 VOIP build)?

The steps I want to verify (besides the fact that this upgrade path/feature set change will work):
-30/30/30 reset, log back in, set a password, go to upgrade web GUI page
-begin upgrade
-wait ~5 minutes
-unplug router, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in
-reconfigure it and enjoy

Thanks,
-Bill
Sponsor
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
30x30x30 is not necessary for WRT54gl...Just select reset after upgrading from the gui will be enough
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
glacious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply Very Happy

I take it the upgrade and going from VOIP to VPN version is fine.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct, it won't be a problem. At different times, I had the Mini, VOIP, and VPN versions on my GL, and was able to switch betweent them without issues.

30-30-30 isn't necessary, but it never hurt either.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
30x30x30 hard reset is normaly use when you have flash issue(pending on device), and is a part of unbricking procedure. Normal flash did not required it.

Here it is recommended (i think), because some users spend their time changing and changing their settings and flashing their device every two weeks.
But in a normal use(flash->set->use) there is normaly no reason to do a 30x30x30 hard reset when upgrading firmware. Of course a normal reset is usefull in case of nvram tag and value syntax changing between the old and new release.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
why is a hard reset being debated? Just do it and then you are assured of not having any issues.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51915

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
why is a hard reset being debated? Just do it and then you are assured of not having any issues.

hard reset is not debated, 30x30x30 was.

Even Eko says this is not automatic and it is pending on the device type ! ;)

Eko wrote:
I think it is time to start collecting some major misconceptions about flashin/using/... dd-wrt.

Please feel free to add or expand or discuss them here.

Here are some for start:

1) Smaller build will give me more speed
WRONG: Only enabled service take memory and cpu cycles - so if you don't enable extra services it will run as good as smaller build

2) Micro build on Gigabit router: WRONG: micro builds don't have required driver for gigabit switch. Never use micro on gigabit router. See also point 1)

3) 30-30-30 reset: As this works on some routers (mostly Linksys); it will not do anything in general. Every router has it's own method to reset it. The only common method is "Restore to factory defaults" in GUI.

4) Tftp to 192.168.1.1 It works on many routers, but some use 192.168.2.1 (some Belkins), 192.168.11.1 (some Buffalos), 192.168.10.1 or 192.168.30.1 (Motorolas) etc.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
barryware wrote:

hard reset is not debated, 30x30x30 was.

Even Eko says this is not automatic and it is pending on the device type ! Wink

Ok... My point: just do it, and again you are assured to have no issues. my 600 does not clear the nvram properly doing a telnet erase or a reset to factory defaults.. only using the reset button gets it back to operating the way it should after a reset.

Do it.. Don't do it.. I guess it doesn't matter.. All my equipment is running.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

Do it.. Don't do it.. I guess it doesn't matter.. All my equipment is running.

Guess this is the most important thing! Wink

glacious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better to be safe than sorry I guess. Only thing that is a pain is putting back in all of your port forwards etc. I guess you can backup the settings, but when upgrading versions and switching build type (voip-->vpn), a backup probably won't do much anyway.

and I thought hard reset == 30-30-30?

Thanks again for all the input.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
glacious wrote:
Better to be safe than sorry I guess. Only thing that is a pain is putting back in all of your port forwards etc. I guess you can backup the settings, but when upgrading versions and switching build type (voip-->vpn), a backup probably won't do much anyway.

and I thought hard reset == 30-30-30?

Thanks again for all the input.

The only safe way to restore settings when upgrading is an nvram backup script.

Note that some nvram variables are not present if you change from Voip to VPN build (the one about voip settings for example)

glacious
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, that's fine. I can just re-do the settings for wireless and the WAN in a couple minutes.

I'll rock the 30-30-30 "hard reset" on the wrt54GL just to be safe and hopefully have a pleasant experience.
yzy-oui-fi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
glacious wrote:
yeah, that's fine. I can just re-do the settings for wireless and the WAN in a couple minutes.

I'll rock the 30-30-30 "hard reset" on the wrt54GL just to be safe and hopefully have a pleasant experience.

30x30x30 hard reset on Linksys have no Issue. It is just an heavy procedure not really need, almost on WRT54GL1.1.

Glad for you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: