WRT54g Bridge encryption (WEP) Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
burden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 20:05    Post subject: WRT54g Bridge encryption (WEP) Issue Reply with quote
Hello, I currently installed the newest firmware for my Linksys WRT54g which was the dd-wrt v24-sp2 (beta) release. I flashed it through the web interface and have the firmware working well.

I want to set up a bridge with my main wireless router (Airlink 101) and I followed the instructions set forth on this page.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

I did everything right but I cannot get the bridge to work with Wireless security. I have a simple WEP protection on my main router (Airlink 101) and is a 64bit HEX key. I have a set of 10 numbers that I can easily remember as the WEP key. I entered the WEP key and everything seems to be set to the right settings, but I can't connect to the internet when the WEP encryption is enabled. I have a static IP set on the Computer that I am configuring the router through.

When I disable the wireless security (no WEP) everything works fine and I can access the internet, but when I try to encrypt my network I run into problems. How can I encrypt my network with WEP, and get the wireless bridge to work?

Also for the static IP on the computer which I am setting up the route through, what should I set the DNS and alt DNS servers to? The ones provided by my ISP or the main router IP?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsor
burden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone help me with this issue?
burden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, I really need to get the WEP encryption working. I can get it to work without it, but it is vital that I get it to work with WEP.
DHC_DarkShadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should double and triple check your security settings on both devices.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
DHC_DarkShadow wrote:
You should double and triple check your security settings on both devices.

Its WEP HEX Shared key, and its just 10 digits that I can remember. I set it to the exact same thing on the other end. Checked countless times.
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slightly off topic, but you do know WEP is a very bad idea, correct? WEP is easily broken these days (less than ten minutes in many cases), and WPA is a much better choice (although WPA2/AES would be best).

I'm not sure if you know this or not, or if you have a specific device that only uses WEP, but most devices support WPA at least nowadays.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
r00kie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
burden wrote:
Can anyone help me with this issue?

I was having a similar problem that I couldn't ping the my main router at 192.168.1.1 or connect to it. I found that even though I entered the WEP key in the GUI the wirelese interface wasn't setup correctly.

So I used the CLI and issued these commands:

# wl wsec 1
    # wl join SSID key 0123456789

where SSID is the ID of the main router and "0123456789" is your WEP key(this shows a 64 bit WEP).

I'm using VINT build 13401 on a WRT54G connected to an ActionTEC as the main router. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: