DIR-615 E1 Wireless Bridge/Client Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
xtreme251180
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 16:31    Post subject: DIR-615 E1 Wireless Bridge/Client Bridge Reply with quote
Hi.
I hope somebody can help...
I tried all the steps from the DD-WRT Wiki (Wireless Bridge and Client Bridge) but it won't work. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, I'm missing a step or if I installed a wrong firmware.

What I want:
A wireless connection from second router (DIR-615e1 DD-WRT V24SP2 r15362) to primary router (DIR-655 standard firmware) so I can connect wired devices to that second router and have internet and be on the same network as the devices from primary router.

What I tried:
I basically followed all the steps from the Wiki plus I also tried additional things like different IP addresses, same/different SSID, same/different channels, other WiFi modes, and so on...

What happened:
If I log on to the primary router every now and then I see the correct IP address from the secondary router is connected, sometimes it's IP 0.0.0.0, and sometimes nothing is connected.
Even though I fixed the channel on secondary router to ch10 it jumps around and picks a random channel.
Sometimes the internet LED on the secondary router is orange, sometimes it's green, but no matter what: I have no internet on the PC that is connected to the secondary router and I can't communicate with any PC connected to the primary router. I also can't connect to primary router from PC connected to second router.

Please, if someone can help I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks, Andre
Sponsor
The Mentalist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to do this with my dir-615 with no luck. I too was trying to get the Xbox on the internet without buying their wireless adapter. If I have time I'll try again tonight and give you some input.
xtreme251180
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I'll try again tonight with older firmware... Let's see if we can get it done...
xtreme251180
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is all frustrating... Tried about 5 different firmwares... One is not stable and I can't access the router after about 2 minutes (until I power it down and fire it back up), another firmware doesn't even show the "Wireless" tab in the menu, but all have one thing in common: It doesn't work!
Any ideas???
bluegecko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
No ideas - I can't get client bridge to work at all with any version on my DIR-615 E1. I dinked around with a bunch of different stuff on both with the GUI and on the command line to see if I could figure out a configuration issue but no dice. I resorted to client mode instead of bridging. I don't really like having a second subnet at home but it'll do for what I need it for. I haven't run much through it yet though so I can't say anything about stability.
H3llh0und
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you make the client mode working? Link to the guide you used?
bluegecko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the wiki for client mode.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

This sets up a NAT gateway which is fine if you just want internet access from the devices connected to the client mode router. But it won't allow devices connected to the AP router to contact devices connected to the client mode router unless you do a bunch of port forwarding. So I turned it into a routed network instead of a NAT gateway.

To do this follow the wiki for client mode. You'll need to use a static IP for the client mode router WAN interface setting. I used 192.168.1.251. Then change from Gateway to Router mode on the Advanced Routing tab of the client mode router. Then set a static route on your AP router so it knows how to route to your client mode router subnet. If you're using the wiki subnets (192.168.1.x for the AP router and 192.168.2.x for the client mode router) and my client mode router wan IP (192.168.1.251) go to the Advanced Routing tab on the AP router and in the Static Routing section enter whatever you'd like for a Route Name, Destination LAN Net as 192.168.2.0, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.251, Interface LAN & WLAN.

That's it. All devices in both subnets should be able to talk back and forth just fine as well as access the internet. The downside is if you have Windows machines in different subnets Windows workgroups won't work across the two subnets. But you can access shares in the other subnet using IP address if you set the windows firewall to allow access from the other subnet.
H3llh0und
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
bluegecko wrote:
I followed the wiki for client mode.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Thanks,

I set this up with the wiki the last two builds but not the most recent one. I'll give it a try. The limitations does not matter as long as i can run some 11n performance tests against the WNR2000

Regards

UPDATE:
Set it up and it works goddamn Wink testing settings and speed is next.
ERamseth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I have a DIR-615 E3 and I had no success with client bridge mode, but WDS mode worked well.

This was on build 16454.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: