Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
furk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lately happened to me too...i've been running 4 WTR54GL for mostly an year all with DD-WRT...some days ago the main one (gateway) resetted out of the blue the factory defaults. Shocked

The other 3 are still running.

However i've ever had some problem with them all cause i'm using dyndns and chillispot....and often happens that chilli or dyndns client crash and stop running.

I had to do an automatic reboot every night...but still suffering of this problem.

Rolling Eyes

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
when I use vpn dd-wrt sp2 to upgrade patch firmware from alberto , it fail, and restart forever until i kill nvram_restore.
After looking from ps , i understand that openvpn jffs is not work .
So , i upgrade to standard dd-wrt firmware first ,enable jffs and upgrade to alberto minisp2 .

:) thanks for your efort.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08    Post subject: New release Reply with quote
Here is release 0.5

- ssh should work
- added the --status parameter, which shows if there has been an nvram restore. Use --clear_revert_warning to reset the warning.
- added an SP2 standard no Kaid version

Feedback welcome.
Good luck!

Alberto

Use: start with an unpatched ddwrt, enable jffs, check if /jffs/tmp exists, because sometimes the web interface shows jffs as enabled while it is not.
Then flash the patched image of choice.
Reset the router and then let it boot. You will see the DMZ led on for 20 seconds, followed by another reset. This is the jffs that is being activated. After this you can normally configure your router. When you are ok telnet in and type nvram_restore --save. This creates a file named /jffs/nvram_mirror.gz which contains your settings. Repeat this step when you change something in the configuration.
Power cycle the router to see if everything is fine.
Now you can hard reset (30 sec) your router and you will see the original parameters restored. Please allow some minutes for the restore process.
If something goes wrong get a telnet shell (192.168.1.1) during the 20 sec DMZ on interval and do a killall nvram_restore. Then delete /jffs/nvram_mirror.gz and basically you'll have a normal router.
If after the restore something is not working please debug in this way: do a nvram_restore --save when the router is working, rename the .gz file. Do a hard reset, so the parameters are restored and the router does not work anymore. Save again the parameters. Do
zcat /jffs/nvram_mirror.gz |sort > /tmp/1
zcat/jffs/old_nvram_mirror.gz|sort > /tmp/2
cmp /tmp/1 /tmp/2
and then with vi see what went wrong.

ddwrtSP2miniHA05.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ddwrtSP2miniHA05.bin
 Filesize:  2.45 MB
 Downloaded:  1538 Time(s)

ddwrtSP2stdnokaidHA05.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ddwrtSP2stdnokaidHA05.bin
 Filesize:  3.1 MB
 Downloaded:  1327 Time(s)

ddwrtSP1miniHA05.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ddwrtSP1miniHA05.bin
 Filesize:  2.3 MB
 Downloaded:  1354 Time(s)

centos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 0:11    Post subject: Re: New release Reply with quote
Alberto ,

I have two wrt-54G v5 which only accept micro dd-wrt , all of them have problem reset to default .
i know that micro dd-wrt not support jffs and we can not use your approach.
that's only left me 2 option ?
1. recompile source code and change default setting --> but i don't know where is the source code for micro dd-wrt .
2 use firmware mod kit to change parameter ? ... i try to find where is the file keep configuration , but i can't find . do you know what file i have to change if using firmware mod kit ?

:) your help will appreciate .

regards
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:53    Post subject: Re: New release Reply with quote
centos wrote:
Alberto ,

I have two wrt-54G v5 which only accept micro dd-wrt , all of them have problem reset to default .
i know that micro dd-wrt not support jffs and we can not use your approach.
that's only left me 2 option ?
1. recompile source code and change default setting --> but i don't know where is the source code for micro dd-wrt .
2 use firmware mod kit to change parameter ? ... i try to find where is the file keep configuration , but i can't find . do you know what file i have to change if using firmware mod kit ?

:) your help will appreciate .

regards

I don't know how much space is left in v5 flash. If it has some space left you could still use my script. You could modify it to pick the parameters file from the read only file system instead of jffs. Of course you should use the firmware mod kit to place the parameter file let's say in /etc. Each time you change something you have to flash the router, but at least you don't have to compile the firmware.
If there is no space left, see here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10217&highlight=
redemption
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got the misterious reset, this sucks as I have to set the parameters all over again. For those that had this problem, will this thing continue to reset or is it a once in a blue moon deal?
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
redemption wrote:
I got the misterious reset, this sucks as I have to set the parameters all over again. For those that had this problem, will this thing continue to reset or is it a once in a blue moon deal?

It will happen over and over, expecially when it is most harmful
jay_rm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, this just happened to me yesterday. Heavy wet snow day with lots of quick power losses and brown outs/surges. However, the router is on a UPS - maybe it's getting old.

WRT54GS running V23 SP2 mini. Firmware sort of reset "halfway" - some settings didn't change. It had me worried until I realized what might be happening. I downgraded to SP1 final, reloaded SP2 and restored nvram settings - all was/has been well.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
A month ago I had a 2 HPs reset all the way to factory (4-05-2006 Micro, WDS Bridged). One was on a UPS, the other was not. Seems like the UPS would have saved the one on it, but they both went. Does anybody know if the defective Linux component that is causing this to happen is used in Tomato ?
http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
GeeTek wrote:
A month ago I had a 2 HPs reset all the way to factory (4-05-2006 Micro, WDS Bridged). One was on a UPS, the other was not. Seems like the UPS would have saved the one on it, but they both went. Does anybody know if the defective Linux component that is causing this to happen is used in Tomato ?

It is not a Linux problem, this is sure.
The problem could be in CFE, and Tomato and all the other firmware, including Linksys own, would have this problem too.
Or it could be DD-WRT is too zealous and resets everything when other firmwares don't.

OpenWRT does a minimal use of nvram, AFAIK, maybe if CFE wipes it nobody notices.

Anyway I'm having good results with this script. For me this is not a problem anymore and WRT54GL is proving quite reliable.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alberto wrote:
It is not a Linux problem, this is sure.
The problem could be in CFE
To me, if it is not a Microsoft Windows problem then it must be a Linux problem. That is all I have time to figure out. Anyway, thank you very much for your response and explaination. I will install your modification and let you know how it works.

Sorry for the stupid question, but could you tell me how to do what you say in the box below ? I know how to telnet into the router, but that is all I know how to do. Can I use telnet instead of SSH or do I need to learn how to do SSH ? If I am too n00b, just tell me to give up. It's OK.

Alberto wrote:
check if /jffs/tmp exists, because sometimes the web interface shows jffs as enabled while it is not.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
kingnubian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had this happen to my Motorola WR850G using DD-Wrt 23 sp2 a few times. It was sitting right next to my Motorola Cable modem. I move the router about 6-8 inches away & the problem vanished.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="GeeTek"]
Alberto wrote:

Sorry for the stupid question, but could you tell me how to do what you say in the box below ? I know how to telnet into the router, but that is all I know how to do. Can I use telnet instead of SSH or do I need to learn how to do SSH ? If I am too n00b, just tell me to give up. It's OK.

Alberto wrote:
check if /jffs/tmp exists, because sometimes the web interface shows jffs as enabled while it is not.

Just get a shell, telnet is fine. Then type "ls /jffs" this shows you the files in /jffs. If it is empty you don't have jffs. If you have at least tmp it means you are fine and can go on.
This /jffs/tmp directory is automatically created the first time the jffs partition is created.
Alberto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
kingnubian wrote:
Had this happen to my Motorola WR850G using DD-Wrt 23 sp2 a few times. It was sitting right next to my Motorola Cable modem. I move the router about 6-8 inches away & the problem vanished.

Well... you are a lucky guy. I would suggest to check the power cable and its connector too. Maybe they are more important than your router position in the space-time continuum.
cmoswizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 21:17    Post subject: Added capacitance to power pack to slow power bounce Reply with quote
Just a data point. After losing my settings once soon after putting DD-WRT V23 sp2 on my WHR-G54S from Buffalo I added 1500uF of capacitance to the 3.3V power pack line. I then pulled the plug and re-powered it about 5 times without any loss of settings. If you are qualified to make this modification it might help. YMMV.
The additional capacitance stores more energy to prevent rapid power bounces which may be responsible for the loss of nvram contents. The switching power packs they ship with these things are so small that they can't be putting very much storage capacitance in there. It wouldn't fit.

Dennis in Minneapolis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: