DD-WRT Live CD Version

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:40    Post subject: DD-WRT Live CD Version Reply with quote
Hi,
I recently started using DD-WRT on my WRT54G v4 and really love it. Nice job Brian!

I hope this hasn't been ask before (I did a search with no results), but what are the chances in the future of a Live Bootable CD version of DD-WRT for any x86 peecee? I think that would be an awesome project and definetly worth paying for!

Thanks,
LexRidge
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are plans for it, yes and it will come.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great news!!

Thanks!

LexRidge
g_sintornillos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Waiting... Smile
wbug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 20:28    Post subject: OK it is very good Reply with quote
Do yow need help to this proyect??
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
not really. just time

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Today i was able to run DD-WRT on a x86 based system the first time with full wireless support for Atheros wireless hardware. right now i'm playing with it in a VMWare but so far the wireless community keeps up the financial support for our company we will release a wrap/soekris compatible version soon. But the system will be capable to run on any x86 compatible platform too like by Dualcore Athlon X2 4800

This is GREAT news!! I don't personally yet need the wireless functions in a PC based router running DD-WRT, but wow, I'm already imagining the possibilities, with the unlimited horsepower, RAM and ethernet adaptors! This could be the ultimate media router as well.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like someone hasn't discovered linux yet Smile
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
you mean a good router linux with webgui. this is no standard thing and dd-wrt is still very small. even on the standard pc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exactly!

The GUI makes it easier for nuckleheads to configure, and being x86 based, it will be much easier to customize the installs.....at least for me it will be. I think the first thing I will want to add will be IPSEC.

It will also be nice to be able to run the PC without a HDD...I assume DD-WRT/x86 could be booted with a FlashDrive as well.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
what about this

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6143

and yes it boots from cfdisk as well

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks great Brian! How hard will it be to add various kernel modules to this, for let's say, hardware not officially supported? USB/Firewire drivers are something that immedialty comes to mind.

BTW, you may now want to move this thread to the new X86 section, since you have one now. Smile
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
right now i just compiled nearlly all drivers available in the kernel as modules into the filesystem. but just ethernet and vga/vesa is used right now since the main target is still a router os. but customizations are possible for sure.
one idea is to install a X11 server and a embedded konquerer to administrate locally on the computer itself too. bad that the build system of xfree is really crappy for cross compiling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Entschuldigung die Frage, abe rich begreife nicht für was man DD-WRT auf einem PC laufen lässt Question

Damit man damit 300'000 Connections oder mehr machen kann ?

Ich frage, was nützt das denn 2 GHz oder mehr mit 1 GB RAM ?

Ein echter Router reicht doch ?

Klärt mich einer auf ? Rolling Eyes
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ahso? in deinem wohnzimmer reicht der router vielleicht. im größeren einsatz wäre alles überfordert. in professionellen router systemem ticken heute xeon prozessoren. nur halt sind die geräte sammt software schweineteuer. da kommt man günstiger mit nem aldi celeron und fertig. und im gigabit bereich ist heute sowieso alles an hardware überfordert was für den otto normal nutzer erschwinglich ist.

mit dd-wrt auf nem pc hast du nen router, internet einwahl, vpn und hotspot portal funktionen und von mir aus auch 10 wireless karten im rechner. soll mir recht sein. damit kannst du dann mit einem pc alle deine tausend nutzer versorgen. egal ob über kabel oder wireless. ich hoffe du verstehst den ansatz. dessweiteren gibt es mini pc's wie den wrap der für 100 euro als router platine konzipiert ist. dort läuft es natürlich auch. nur diese pc's haben beispielsweise keine festplatte sondern nur kompaktflash, ne serielle konsole. ethernet und 2 minipci slots

also nicht nur ans wohnzimmer denken

Navigation

Jump to: