DD-WRT Live CD Version

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
you mean a good router linux with webgui. this is no standard thing and dd-wrt is still very small. even on the standard pc.

I can name few distros that are exactly that - linux router with a webgui. There is also FreeBSD routers with webgui. And are small enough to fit on a single floppy disk.
Pretty standart. It's not a new idea Wink
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
with atheros wireless support? with hotspot integration? with all the nice features you already know from dd-wrt?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
We tried pfsense which is a PC based router. The latest version seems to work well except the wireless is poor. m0n0wall fits on a CF and has wireless support but it's not primarily a wireless router.

dd-wrt on PC hardware using CF would provide us with familiar and trusted firmware on hardware more suited to a reliable access point than a WRT54GL. We would then use dd-wrt on broadcom based clients for our subscribers units.

However the idea of dd-wrt leaving the wrt54g is a bit scary, rather lilke Apple leaving the Power PC. It's more that it's taking more teritory, pfsense, m0n0wall and IPCop only run on x86 but dd-wrt is running on many CPU types.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
i will still maintain all other system types too. but i need some more powerfull wireless and router hardware almost than the typical end customer. so i port all the features to other platforms too like magicbox, xscale and x86. no one has to be scare of a possible development ending on broadcom.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
So a fully loaded version is also possible i guess?
With freeradius, squid, nas capabilities etc etc???

The possibilities are endless...

After the x86 version is out the can of worms will open...
I think a VMWare appliance competition should be organised, with the most feature complete image beeing features here for download..

Good work !!!
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Truth of the matter os; when the x86 version is finally released, I would think it inevitable there will be many branches. Great projects tend to turn into many projects. Just remember, like Redhat once was, you wil be their leader.

Brian, a business idea; why not work a deal with hardware makers to provide you with object drivers compilable against the kernel. Then you could sell the version (with support) to high-end hardware users. You could still use secret driver code without releasing the source. Similar to what Nvidia does with their drivers. Then, you could build baby AT computers with an 8 port (gigabit) card, fanless cpu, CompactFlash boot, miniPCI adaptor card and half a gig of RAM. Market to businesses.......The Killer router!

Just a thought. Smile
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Opps...double post.

Last edited by lexridge on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:08; edited 1 time in total
moullas40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
a.k.a. the way watchguard started (not open source through), with Linux on the box.

But they still integrate oss stuff like that free o.s. antivirus for gateway protection
I for one would push by company for buying BRAINSLAYER branded routers for our customers instead of the overpriced Watchguard ones.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
Truth of the matter os; when the x86 version is finally released, I would think it inevitable there will be many branches. Great projects tend to turn into many projects. Just remember, like Redhat once was, you wil be their leader.

Brian, a business idea; why not work a deal with hardware makers to provide you with object drivers compilable against the kernel. Then you could sell the version (with support) to high-end hardware users. You could still use secret driver code without releasing the source. Similar to what Nvidia does with their drivers. Then, you could build baby AT computers with an 8 port (gigabit) card, fanless cpu, CompactFlash boot, miniPCI adaptor card and half a gig of RAM. Market to businesses.......The Killer router!

Just a thought. Smile

this is what i'm currently dealing with some companies. i already have the atheros sourcecodes and i'm in discussion with other companies too

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
With this new x86 dd-wrt, how hard would it be to include the possibility of using two or more of the nic cards as a WAN port. Throw in some loadbalancing or agregation algorithms and that would be seriously kick ass.

Shawn

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
i already discussed internally to write a load balancer on top of this system. but its complex thing to write a good loadbalancer. right now its already possible to setup the ports in a independed way with different networks and static routes. but no load balancer so far

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very very cool Slayer, if all goes according to your plan, free or not, i'll get the x86 version when you release it.

Shawn

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
lets say tuesday. this should be the date where the x86 will reach the world. i already prepared the build

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I look forward to the X86 DD-WRT.. I cant seem to get really good speeds out of the broadcom, i need a bit better connection for home home network. Brainslayer, you're doing some really great work!!
saivert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 14:34    Post subject: discussing the Live CD here? Reply with quote
Back on topic maybe?

I would like to see DD-WRT as a LiveCD, just like Devil Linux. You can then store the nvram database file to a floppy disk.

Maybe allow upgrading of a hard-disk based DD-WRT system via the CD in case it becomes too difficult to upgrade via webadmi since the size of DD-WRT image is growing.
Easiest way to allow this would be to keep a .bin image on the CD in addition to the LiveCD itself.

Navigation

Jump to: